Thursday, July 24, 2008

The trip to Utah and the toys that came with it july 2008



Here are the pictures of my new toys in 2008






And now the story of how I got them
How I have come to have the same toys as I had in my youth.
I go back to fathers day in 2007 when my wife and I were out sailing (that’s garage saleing) . We stopped by one and they had just bought two new motorcycles and wanted to get rid of their older 650 Honda motorcycle. (With only 3000 miles on it) I could not see any reason that we could not help them out and my wife bought it for me for fathers day. Note in 1975 I had a 650 Yamaha road bike) Well things were going along nicely until last week ( the week of July 14) On Thursday we headed out to get my daughter from Rexburg and then to go see Mom in Logan UT. Thing were going great until about 80 mile outside Missoula MT. Donnie (my Wife ) said she could smell something I told her is was just the big truck brakes. After we got over the top I noticed that we had a smoke coming out of the back of the van. We pulled over and there was a trail of liquid running under our car. Didn’t look good. I pull a little ahead to check it out . It was red puddle, really not good. There was nothing to do but keep on moving so we headed for the next town with a gas station or something close to it. You know there are a lot of towns in Montana that just don’t have a gas stations or store but they do have bars. We did pass bars. After traveling some distance we did find a gas station and got some transmission fluid. It only took 2 quarts. That was a good thing ATF is not cheap in them there mountains about $5.39 quart. We made it into Missoula that night and got a room next to the Ford dealership. The next morning we called No one there to even look at it until Tuesday and it was like pulling teeth to get him to refer us to anyone. The next transmission shop said it would be Monday before he could look at it after many more calls we found someone that would look at it today . They told us that the main seal had gone but that meant we had big problems in side and it would be about 2000 to 3000 to fix it but they would not start until Monday. My 2000 Windstar was getting up there with the miles and needed much more help than just that. So we check to see would we could do. I could tell you about trying on cars and such but I will not bore you now just lets say Being rather large and tall with short legs does have its problems. Chevy and GMC did not have any thing to fit. At the Ford dealer I found a f150 and an tundra after a while of talking and test driving and checking out what they could do for me I got the Toyota Tundra. It just had more room and drove better for me. And the price was really about the same. I would have like to get another minivan but the new ones just don’t have the head room any more.


This is a picture of my old truck in 1976


This is a picture of the Yamaha 650 in 1976















So now I have my 4 wheel drive truck and my 650 motorcycle. And no I’m not going though a second childhood But it is kind of fun. I will need to go 4 wheeling with David (my son He has a jeep)

6 comments:

Sterling said...

I'm glad that you've started blogging, it is a great way to see what's going on. Though some how I pictured your truck and motorcycle a little different when you used to tell the stories. But I guess pictures don't lie.

Unknown said...

So, now Jim I get the need for the pickup. We can't have you stranded in MONTANA of all places!! However, I'm still curious as to how this precipitated the need for the motorcycle!:) Sidney

big jim and Donnie said...

To save gas what can I say.. I don't think there has been a time with out a motorcycle except my mission and even then my brothers were tearing up my Honda 450

Mark said...

Who is standing in the back of the old Ford truck with you? I remember a few trips in that truck. On time on the way to Porcupine Dam there was a slide or something, and we all refused to ride over it. So we got out and you went spinning sideways over the hump. I especially remember the expedition to drag you off the mine road or whatever that you slide off of (high centered, hanging off the soft dirt edge). Raymond "borrowed" a long chain from the drug store, and we took come-alongs. I got stuck in my truck behind you. We waited until morning and then built up a track below your tires on the downside, and then used the come alongs to get you out, after getting me out. At least that is how I remember it.

Mark said...

Is that Bob and someone else in back?

big jim and Donnie said...

Yes Mark that is you in the back of the pickup. Ray is taking the picture and I think that is Tracy? Paco is in the truck with Me.